This policy covers how Yahoo! treats personal information that Yahoo! collects and receives, including information related to your past use of Yahoo! products and services. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual like your name, email address or phone number and that is not otherwise publicly available.
INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE
Yahoo! collects personal information when you register with Yahoo!, when you use Yahoo! products or services, when you visit Yahoo! pages or the pages of certain Yahoo! partners, and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes. Yahoo! may combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from business partners or other companies.
When you register we ask for information such as your name, gender, birth date, postal code and email address. Once you register with Yahoo! and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us.
Yahoo! collects information about your transactions with us and with some of our business partners, including information about your use of financial products and services that we offer.
Yahoo! uses information for the following general purposes: to customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products and services, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
Yahoo! does not contact children under age 13 about special offers or for marketing purposes without a parent's permission.
Yahoo! does not ask a child under age 13 for more personal information, as a condition of participation, than is reasonably necessary to participate in a given activity or promotion.
INFORMATION SHARING AND DISCLOSURE
Yahoo! does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Yahoo! under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information to help Yahoo! communicate with you about offers from Yahoo! and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- When you register for a Yahoo! account, your registration information and other data will be transmitted to the United States and/or other countries for processing and storage by Yahoo! and its affiliates. In addition, we may provide your personal information to a Yahoo! affiliate worldwide for the general purposes described above under “Information Collection and Use.” For example, various Yahoo! affiliates may be responsible for processing and storing your information in order to deliver content and services to you. In these situations your information may be subject to the legal jurisdiction of these countries.
- We respond to disclosure demands if permitted or required by law including responding to warrants, subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Yahoo! displays targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria—for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area.
- Yahoo! does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Yahoo! advertisers include financial service providers (such as banks, insurance agents, stock brokers and mortgage lenders) and non-financial companies (such as stores, airlines, and software companies).
Yahoo! works with vendors, partners, advertisers, and other service providers in different industries and categories of business. For more information regarding providers of products or services that you've requested please read our detailed reference links.
Yahoo! may set and access Yahoo! cookies on your computer.
Yahoo! lets other companies that show advertisements on some of our pages set and access their cookies on your computer. Other companies' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one. Advertisers or other companies do not have access to Yahoo!'s cookies.
Yahoo! uses web beacons to access Yahoo! cookies inside and outside our network of web sites and in connection with Yahoo! products and services.
YOUR ABILITY TO EDIT AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION AND PREFERENCES
New categories of marketing communications might be added to the Marketing Preferences page from time to time. Users who visit this page can opt out of receiving future marketing communications from these new categories or they can unsubscribe by following instructions contained in the messages they receive.
We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the Yahoo! service, such as service announcements, administrative messages and other communications without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
You can delete your Yahoo! account by visiting our Account Deletion page. Please click here to read about information that might possibly remain in our archived records after your account has been deleted.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with our legal obligations to protect personal information about you.
To learn more about security, including the security steps we have taken and security steps you can take, please read Security at Yahoo!.
Yahoo! may update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your Yahoo! account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS
If you have questions or suggestions or wish to contact our Privacy Officer, please complete this feedback form or you can contact us at:
701 First Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
+1 (408) 349-5070
Last updated: 12 July 2010